On June 29, The Joint Commission announced a new medication management standard (MM.09.01.01) to address antimicrobial stewardship for hospitals, critical access hospitals, and nursing care centers.1
Effective January 1, 2017, the elements of performance (EPs) will address:
- Helping leaders establish antimicrobial stewardship as a priority for their organization
- Educating staff and independent licensed practitioners involved with ordering, dispensing, administering, and monitoring antimicrobial resistance and stewardship practices
- Educating patients and families on appropriate use of antibiotics
- Creating a multidisciplinary antimicrobial stewardship team
- Developing an antimicrobial stewardship program
The Joint Commission has released the prepublication standards for hospitals and critical access hospitals here.
With the effective date near, hospitals will need to assess their antimicrobial stewardship policies and practices to see if they meet these standards. You can take our free gap analysis survey to see how it performs relative to IDSA and SHEA standards.
Our expert Clinical OneSource team can help to equip your healthcare organization with the clinical expertise, workflow analysis and change management consulting needed to move high-level healthcare initiatives from infancy to maturity.
1. Joint Commission unveils new antimicrobial stewardship standard. (2016, June 29). Retrieved from https://www.jointcommission.org/issues/article.aspx?Article=8/edJxSI/ROgKZhv46xb1vQ5282rP1aYDfaGA3GiMJM=